Tutorial // Manolo + Maria's Marigold Flower Crowns

December 09, 2015


No need for fresh flowers here! Create your very own flower crown and be as bright and festive as the Land of the Remembered.

Sometimes all you need to update your cosplay are a few key pieces. This past Comikaze Expo, scriptgiant and I debuted a ~deluxe edition~ of some of our favorite cosplays. I've never made a flower crown before, and I noticed that most of the tutorials I found while researching online were designated for fresh flowers. So I decided I'd compile a quick little guide on how to make your very own marigold flower crown- the easy and affordable way!

Tools you'll need:
  • Flowers (I used about 1.5 bouquets of medium-sized marigolds from Michael's)
  • Wire (I used garden wire that's ~1mm thick)
  • Wire cutters
  • Hot glue gun + gluesticks

1. To measure how much wire you''ll need for the crown, wrap the wire around the circumference of your head. I made sure to cut the length a bit longer because my cosplay requires a wig, which would add a few centimeters. Repeat this three times, then braid the wires together to create one long and extra sturdy wire base.


2. I removed the marigolds from their original plastic stems, and cut them as close as I could to the blub to create a flatter surface, where there'd be more area for the glue to adhere to. Hot glue the bottom stem of the flower to the braided wire, and repeat. Make sure to place the flowers fairly close to one another, because once the flower crown bends to your head, it will showcase any gaps between the flowers.


3. Hot glue the braided wire ends together to ensure that they don't poke your head throughout the day. Once you've glued all of the flowers to the braided wire base, create a nice finishing touch by cutting a few leaves from the original bundle and glue them to the end of the wire. This will not only help hide unsightly wire ends, but it's also a nice little detail that makes the crown seem 'complete'.


And voilà, you've just make yourself a marigold flower crown! If you use this tutorial, be sure to tag me @8bitblossom so we can both sparkle in the magic of flower crowns. Enjoy!

Photo by Geek World Radio

You Might Also Like

0 comments

About

Hi! I'm 8-Bit Blossom, a 20-something lover of all things cosplay, skin care, and low-budget travel.

Archive

Contact

8-Bit Blossom | Los Angeles, California 8bitblossom@gmail.com