Recap // Anime Expo '15

July 16, 2015

Photo: DTJAAAM

If I had to choose a single convention to attend throughout the year, I would choose Anime Expo every time. The sheer amount of people, the level of cosplay, and growing artists' alley makes this con especially unique. I can now reaffirm my love for west-coast conventions ever since moving back from the cold winters of Boston!

The four-day event usually takes place over the 4th of July weekend, making attending the Japanese event cosplaying from a Mexican film even more ironic. Nevertheless, I thought there were lots of changes from AX 2014, particularly the dramatically reduced wait times for badge-pick up, weird line queue areas, and more attractions in the South Hall/main entrance. While the booths, panels, and workshops are all part of the quality programming, lots of us go for the sole purpose of cosplaying! Our line-up this year was:
  • Thursday & Saturday- Manolo & Maria | The Book of Life
  • Friday- RED Sniper & RED Medic | Team Fortress 2
  • Sunday- Shinji Ikari and Mari Makinami | Evangelion
We were lucky enough to attend a meetup each of the days, and even had a chance to host our first meetup! The Book of Life meetup was held on Saturday at Site 2, and to our pleasant surprise, we had a fantastic turnout. If you were able to make it to the gathering, I'd like to say thank you and I hope you had a great time! The amount of preparations and stress to get this event together was unexpected, but I'd like to think everyone had a fun time taking photos, eating Mexican candy, and listening to two artists from the film- Sarah Marino and Shane Richardson- discuss their experiences working on the movie.

After the con each day, we'd head out on the free shuttle buses to Little Tokyo and fill our bellies up with the best ramen in Los Angeles. Daikokuya, Shin-Sen-Gumi, Manichi, Orochon- all fabulous places to eat under $10. HOWEVER, Las Galas and their "ramen" was something I wasn't the biggest fan of. I just wanted to put out a warning for anyone who has ever considered ordering the ramen there... don't. Not only was it tasteless, but it wasn't even fully cooked! Sorry, just a quick PSA.

Anime Expo, you were a ton of fun, and I hope that we're able to attend next year! Enjoy a neat little photo gallery of some of my photos from the weekend. If you know any of the cosplayers, please comment own below so I can properly credit; thanks!




You Might Also Like

0 comments

About

Hi! I'm 8-Bit Blossom, a 20-something lover of all things cosplay, skin care, and low-budget travel.

Archive

Contact

8-Bit Blossom | Los Angeles, California 8bitblossom@gmail.com