Recap // PAX East '15

March 13, 2015


How do large-scale east-coast cons compare to the west? I find out while meeting devs and networking the VG industry.   

I'm alive! My first PAX (Penny Arcade Expo) is officially complete, and I must admit- my fun levels have basically been maxed out. Being an old woman at 22-years-old really takes a toll on you. I was lucky enough to attend all three days of the video game-focused event, and returned home with new friendships, some neat souvenirs, and some exciting cosplay news!

Day One // Excitement levels were high, especially since I've yet to attend a video game-type convention yet. I pulled together a quick RED Scout's Ma cosplay from Team Fortress 2, all while introducing a friend to the ~wonders~ of cosplay (cosplayer problem #342: convincing everyone around you to cosplay). I attended the Blizzard panel where the new Overwatch characters were announced to a crowd full of die-hard nerds that maxed out the line capacity just twenty minutes after the convention doors opened. The exhibit floor was packed with ultra-fancy booths from companies showcasing their newest games, with a few merchandise booths sprinkled here and there.

Can I cosplay as a non-videogame character at PAX? Yes! I was really worried about wearing an anime cosplay, but to my relief not only were there very few cosplays, but I managed to spot a couple anime/TV/movie/superhero cosplays, as well. PAX cosplays are few, but they consist of the typical array of genres you'd find at most conventions.



Day Two // I purchased the Team Fortress 2 RED Medic dress from welovefine the previous day, and wore that bad boy to the con on day two. The size small fit perfectly, and I paired some black leggings and brown rainboots to ensure that I wouldn't completely freeze on the way to the convention center. The Markiplier panel was just as insane as I thought it would be- no structure, just a crazy Q&A session that was actually really fun! Mark had some really nice advice about staying humble, pursuing your passion, and not forgetting the importance of support from your friends. I could tell that this really resonated with the audience, and it made me feel just so warm and fuzzy. 

Fast-forward to the most informative panel about transgender video game characters, complete with an entire panel of transgender woman that not only work in the video game industry today, but also provided support and advice on how to go about and deal with an often insensitive society. This was possibly my favorite panel of the weekend because I learned so much, particularly how much the inclusion of trans* characters within the video games really influences gaming culture. If you'd like to know more, check out the panel presenters, Press XY!




Day Three // The last day of any convention is always so strange. On the one hand, it's the most relaxing day for me because this is when I typically plan a comfy, casual cosplay; on the other hand, the entire day is bittersweet as you'll be saying goodbye to all of your new friends*.

However, I did manage to stop by the Gigantic room and had the opportunity to play the game with the team of developers! I'm so hyped for this game (and Overwatch, of course), and I've decided to cosplay as Tripp by Anime Expo in Los Angeles! I even met the lead character designer who hooked it up with some awesome reference material for my cosplay- oh man, that was surreal. I think I'll document my progeess on this blog, including a step-by-step on most, if not all of the items. I want to be a positive influence in the cosplay community, so hopefully by creating a beginner-friendly tutorial will turn lots of people into cosplayers, too! 

We ended the weekend by eating at some of Boston's best eateries, aka Regina Pizzeria in the North End, introducing the subway system, and trying not to freeze in the 20 degree weather. PAX East was the most fun I've had here in Boston, and it was especially nice to be able to share such a great con with even greater people. Thank you to all of the wonderful people I met or asked for my picture, I hope you all had a great time!

tl;dr: PAX East was fantastic, I attended awesome panels, met the nicest people, and decided to cosplay as Tripp from Gigantic. 10/10 would go to Prime.

*If you're into the Team Fortress 2 community at all, please check out my friends and their hard work!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

About

Hi! I'm 8-Bit Blossom, a 20-something lover of all things cosplay, skin care, and low-budget travel.

Archive

Contact

8-Bit Blossom | Los Angeles, California 8bitblossom@gmail.com